Pages

Monday, 22 February 2016

65 British General Hospital, Baghdad.
Mesopotamia Expeditionary Forces.


17 Mar 1919

My Dear Father

I have just received your letter telling me you have decided to give up the farm. It must have been a great trial to you all & to think of leaving the house, surroundings etc., when one has spent the greater part of one’s life is rather a wrench. But now the war is over & you would have to leave sometime.  I think probably it is the wisest course to take.  At the same time it may be difficult to find a suitable home to go to, in any case you have nearly a year to look round & things should be more settled by then.  I had no idea you kept the house on for a year (May 1920).  I must be home before then.   I should like if possible to secure some of the household things in the way of furniture etc.  I am hoping Percy will be able to store my sporting things, furniture & other odds and ends.  We can talk about that when I do arrive home

This hospital is finished in about a month or six weeks & I am hoping to get away then, but one can never tell.  Everyone is trying to get out of this country.  I shall have to wait & see and as I said I will send Mollie a telegram if I can get away.  I have just heard that my name appears in the Mesopotamia Honours List for ‘Good Service in this Country’.  I think the war office have given me a ‘C.I.E.’ (Companion of the Indian Empire).  This is considered a very high award & is better than a D.S.O. (Distinguished Service Order).  I can now put C.I.E. after my name!!  No doubt you will have seen this in the paper long before you receive this letter.  Mollie will be sure to tell you.  I am sorry we are not all together to honour it.

I hope mother is better & that you will have a good summer for your last, after so many bad ones.  It is beginning to get very hot here & I shall be very glad to get away from this blazing hot sun.  I have had some good appointments out here & when I give them up my income will drop by over £400 per year.  But I mustn’t grumble as I have been very lucky during the whole war.

Hope to hear good news of you all & that we shall all meet soon.

Your affectionate son

Henry Crossley


No comments:

Post a Comment